Occasionally you may need to (re) synchronise your Sharepoint user profiles with their counterparts stored in Active Directory, particularly when the Active Directory information changes. Synchronisation occurs automatically when the SharePoint machine is restarted, and periodically acording to 2 SharePoint Timer jobs, “Profile Synchronization” and “Quick Profile Synchronization”.
If you need to do this manually, follow these steps;
- Log into the Shared Services Administration site
- Click on User Profiles and Properties
- Click on Configure Profile Import
- Under “Source” select the domain you wish to import from
- Under “Default Access Account” select either the default content access account or specify account details – this account must have permission to access the Active Directory users (default) OU container
- Click OK
- Now select either a Full or Incremental import, a Full import will ensure that users deleted from Active Directory are removed from the profile database
- Once the import has finished you can select “View Import Log” to reveal details about the import
Note. To perform incremental imports, the content access account must have the Replicate Changes permission for Windows 2000 Active Directory, this is not required for Windows Server 2003 Active Directory.